Monday, June 27, 2011

Macanudo Cru Royale Lonsdale


Size: 6 ½ X 42
Shape: Lonsdale
Origin: Dominican Republic
Body: Medium
Wrapper: Equadoran Habano
Binder: Proprietary Dominican “La Vega Especiale”
Filler: Brazilian Mata Fina, Dominican Republic and Nicaragua Viso

I would like to start this post by issuing a formal apology to all its readers. I believe that I spent so much time complaining about being unable to get outside for a smoke due to the cold that the heavens have heaped a bunch of heat on us all. I am prepared to accept full blame and I hope that you all will forgive me. However, I have to admit that it’s nice to get outside for a smoke again.

On my way outside for a smoke in the park, I picked up a Macanudo Cru Royale Lonsdale to enjoy. Passing this stogie beneath my nostrils, I noted distinct sugar cane and earth notes. Drawing through it, I tasted sugar cane and earth again, but I also noticed a touch of hay to the flavor of this blend.

First light was a little under impressive, offering a sharp quality that was unpleasant. After a few puffs, this sharpness wore off and revealed a really tasty profile of sugar cane, leather, and peat. Exhaling through the nose brought the sweetness of the sugar cane note to the forefront, which was very enjoyable.

Towards the end of the first quarter and the beginning of the second, I noticed that a cashew note had crept in to subtly support the rest of the profile. This note helped to provide some depth and complexity as well which was very much appreciated.

As this stick progressed, the profile held strong, rarely wavering or changing until the third quarter. At this point, the sweet sugar cane note subsided slightly but remained strong in the blend.

Despite the overall lack of complexity during this smoke, I found it to be very tasty and very relaxing. It’s perfect for an afternoon smoke in the park. I would definitely smoke this stick again and I highly recommend that anyone who is a fan of medium bodied stogies give this a try.

Rating:
Presentation: 8/10 – The band is simple and to the point, displaying an attractive combination of blue, silver, and black. The lettering is clearly legible and is placed around what appears to be a coat of arms.

Appearance: 8/10 – Rugged, smooth, thinly veined, and displaying dark and rich earth tones, this stick really looks great.

Construction: 32/35 – Solid throughout with just a little give. The draw was excellent: open, but with a little bit of resistance. The only issue I had with this stick was that it ran a few times. It did, however, fix itself in the long run.

Flavor: 42/45 – I really enjoyed the overall flavor profile that this cigar offered. There was one major drawback though. At first light, this stick exhibited a sharp and unpleasant taste that I definitely did not enjoy. Beyond that, this stick has a first rate profile that I found very relaxing.

Overall: 90/100 – I really enjoyed this stick. It was well constructed, tasted great (for the most part), and was very relaxing. I highly recommend that anyone out there who enjoys a solid medium bodied smoke should give this stick a whirl.

No comments: