Monday, March 31, 2008

Sunday's Best- Camacho SLR Maduro

A Sunday mid-morning smoke was in order and my choice was to return to an old favorite to give myself an update on the new look Camacho SLR Maduro Rothchild.
I smoked this cigar in the company three regulars enjoying their morning at Rocky’s smoking cigars and talking SU sports including the current lacrosse season, the new-look football program and the finality of the just ended basketball season. The local paper was full of articles on all three topics so the four of us were informed and dangerous….me armed with my Camacho SLR Maddy.

In appearance the wrapper was smoother than I recall from previous sticks, I noticed only one conspicuous vein rising up to be felt in my finger tips. This exterior was definitely not oily, or shiny. The flat color is typical of its wrapper, a Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro- a traditional leaf for a maduro cigar. At 4 ½ x 50 the size was typical for a Rothchild.

My cut today was a double V-cut giving the head of my cigar the look of a cross snipped in.
The cigar lit easily, the foot took the flame evenly and a beautiful white/grey ash began to develop and the burn started out perfect. In terms of taste at this point I had a note of bitterness, but I felt this was from the hot ignition and I was pleased to note the bitterness quickly faded after about a ½ inch. The firm white ash that developed was a pleasant surprise. It was over 2 inches before it fell, dropping its eye pleasing white/ grey mass into my ashtray, leaving behind a hot ember end that was ready to start a new accumulation.

Through out the next 45 minutes we sparred over coaches, players, next year and this year. All the while I enjoyed a balanced full flavor of this cigar with at times tastes of cedar, and licorice. The end of this cigar was a bit disappointing as it became overly bitter and I decided not to nub this one. Perhaps this was the result of my V-cut causing the juices to build up at the head. At any rate this was as good a cigar as I remember and I look forward to smoking a few more of these new look Camachos.

mg

No comments: